Saturday, September 25, 2010

Words of Wisdom

This has got to be the most tiring day of the week, ever. It's tiring, but still so much fun! I got to jog around a block for about four or five times at Highstreet just this afternoon with Lunaru~ See, I'm not much of a fan of exercising, in fact, I don't like moving around or running around or stressing myself with strenuous activities, but ever since I started working out to lose weight, I found that running is actually fun despite the fact that your muscles scream for you to stop, or your lungs trying to keep up with your breathing, and your heart tries to keep up with your pacing.

Anyway, this blog is not about how we jogged around the place, but of the very striking moment with her and Quiela as we took a rest from running. Among my friends, I think I'm the only one who still doesn't have a job. I'm a Registered Nurse for a year and three months already, but still no luck with hospitals that I've applied for. I've really considered trying out a position in the call center, but my close friends choose to stop me from doing so. Even my parents were against it. I argue that I need to earn money and help with some of the expenses and save some for future use, but they won't see through simple logic.

Moving on, what struck me the most with what Quiela said was that, "You shouldn't be too pressured about not having a job, or about not working. You must not let others decide for yourself; on what you want to do. If there's something that you really desire, go for it. It doesn't matter if your parents or your friends don't like what you chose; it's for you to decide." Not the exact words, but somehow the gist of her advice. Why did it have to take me so long to realize that what she said was true?

"What matters most is you're happy with what you're doing." She nailed it. It's so fucking true. For some it might sound selfish, but I believe otherwise. We own our lives, we rule our lives; we decide on things which may or may not entirely be for the greater good, or even for our greater good, but these decisions nonetheless  forms us and makes us realize of the mistakes we did or the opportunities on our way.

"It's never too late." I had been uttered those words at twice. Yeah, it's never too late. I'm only 22 and I still have more than five decades to go. I've been contemplating a lot lately on what I what to do, but for some reason, there's something that's hindering me. Right now, I'm guessing it's my parents' wishes. Bah. The thing is, I can't keep secrets from them, they do not entirely support my decisions, and most of the time we argue about what should be and what should not be. It's tiring. I want to explore, try out many things to know what I really want. But they just don't listen, they don't want to, they never will.

Fine, they know better because they've been in this world far longer than I do. But if they don't let me experience the things I want to do, won't that make me suffer in the future? What if I'm stuck on something I can't do for the rest of my life? What if it's already too late for me to take up what I really want? What shall become of me then?

I think I should really start to think about what I really want to do. Four years overdue, but I guess it's never too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment